Friday, January 27, 2006

is there a name for blending/overlapping 3 words? seems i used to see this where? Raw Nervz perhaps?


Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Eric, man, you got to get outside!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Nea said...

This makes your mind go bonkers. Have you not seen the traveling email that your friends always send you, (or at least I got one), that states you can quite easily read a long paragraph when all the words are spelled incorrectly, as long as the two letters on the end of each word are correct. It worked for me. But when you combine three words, it makes you crazy.....haha

11:39 PM  
Blogger david giacalone said...

Yes, it's called "The German Language."

Also, I believe that portmanteau is used for blends of two words or more. I just emailed a linguist to ask if there is specific word for a threee-word blend. I've been learning about portmanteaux lately, because of my war against the term "blawg" [to refer to a law blog].

9:54 AM  
Blogger Geof Huth said...


The words you found in Raw NervZ (I never get the capitalization right) were probably the one-word haiku of people like George Swede and Emily Romano. I've included a few of these in my anthology of pwoermds (one-word poems), a description of which you can read here:


5:59 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

thank you david & geof for the info.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home